Chicago home buyers have some of the best neighborhoods in the county to choose from, according to a recent article in Inman News, an industry trade publication. Inman pointed to a study by Redfin that outlined the “25 Neighborhoods that Have it All.” Out of the 25 listed, 14 neighborhoods were from Chicago and the nearby area!
This national study examined 80 major U.S. real estate markets. It compared their neighborhoods in respect to market conditions and quality of life, using the following criteria:
- Affordability: Neighborhoods with home sale prices below the national median of $291,700
- Speed of home sales: Neighborhoods where home inventory is in reasonable supply
- School quality: Neighborhood schools having a GreatSchools rating of at least 5 or higher
- Public transportation: Ease of access to commuter rail services and bus routes
- Crime: Neighborhoods with lower incidents of reported violent crime, according to BestPlaces
In other words, this study wasn’t looking for the trendiest, most eye-popping statistical areas. It was looking for neighborhoods that offer a good home buying value and public amenities for the money. The top Chicago neighborhoods making the list include:
- Jefferson Park
- Elmwood Park
- Oak Park
- West Ridge
- Lincoln Square
This list is a handy place to start, but don’t stop there! There are many great neighborhoods throughout Chicago and the Northwest suburbs. The “best” neighborhood for you, will be the one that meets your criteria. This is why it’s so important to identify your priorities and know your price range before starting your home search!
StartingPoint Realty – always here for first-time Chicago home buyers!
We offer the most complete home-buying information in the area! If you’d like an in-depth look at our neighborhoods, homes, public transportation and municipal services, make an appointment to meet us at our Chicago Resource Center!
Always feel welcome to contact us for help with your Chicago home buying questions!
Ryan Gable Broker/CEO Starting Point Realty
Become a StartingPoint Realty Facebook Fan
Follow StartingPoint Realty on Twitter